Men’s suit with two-button jacket
When Scottish immigrants John Ross and Robert Glendining took over a retail drapery business in Dunedin in August 1862, they began a partnership that led to one of the great manufacturing stories of the Otago region. Ross & Glendining continued to expand manufacturing during the first half of the 20th century. Factories in Dunedin, Invercargill, Christchurch, Te Awamutu, Auckland and Whangarei manufactured a wide range of clothing and shoes under a number of labels. Roslyn was one of their most well-known labels. But by the 1960s, share prices were falling. The board restructured the company and, in response to the growing Auckland market, they moved the Ross & Glendining head office to Auckland. In the mid 1960s they were only making outerwear and menswear and Ross & Glendining was closed in 1980.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 New Zealand License