Jersey with kerchief necktie
Tekau Knitwear was started in Ashburton in 1931 by Gladys and Frank McIntosh. They bought a knitting machine from Gladys' father and set it up in a back room. Frank worked it during the day and his brother-in-law worked it at night. Gladys designed and cut garments. By 1935 they had expanded to a factory and opened branches in several other South Island locations. Tekau closed in 2007.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 New Zealand License